Time is short to get fancy these days, but as a makeup artist, I still like to whip my face into shape before I leave the house.
I'm aware that most people would not consider the above image a minimalist kit by any means, but for someone with a giant arsenal of beauty products for work, this is about as simple as it gets for me. I should mention that I don't wear makeup every day. When it's just me, Felix and Pearl at home I'm usually barefaced (or doing a face mask!) and some days I just stick to tinted moisturizer, curled lashes and lip balm. But with this mini kit, I can do a full face when I want to turn myself out a little more nicely for something special.
I thought it might be helpful to share the products that I've found are perfect for life as a new mama. Everything in here is chosen to help you look as awake and revitalized as possible, even after countless sleepless nights.
- MAC Strobe Cream. I blend a drop or two of this with my moisturizer, or put it on alone as a luminous base under foundation. This basically makes me look awake after a long night.
- Rouge Bunny Rouge Sketches on Water Tinted Moisturizer. This is by far the best tinted moisturizer I've tried. It tries down beautifully into a velvety finish, but isn't at all drying. The amount of coverage is pretty generous too, and it covers redness well. I wear this when my skin is looking decent and I just want to even out my skin tone a bit.
- Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid. I just started using this foundation a few weeks ago after a consultation at Sephora. I was looking for a natural foundation in a liquid formula, that was a bit quicker to apply than my beloved RMS "Un" Cover-up, which is a cream formula. It is the only foundation that's designated as a skincare product at Sephora, and indeed it's very moisturizing and soothing thanks to the base of argan oil. A little goes a very long way; the formula is lightweight yet a tiny half-pump is all you need for a medium-to-full coverage finish of the whole face. Special thanks to my friend Kate for sending me a Sephora gift card as a new mama present - so thoughtful!
- RMS Beauty "Un" Powder. I use this non-toxic, featherlight powder to set the Vibrancy foundation, which doesn't dry down completely otherwise due to the oil formula. This powder sets it perfectly.
- Beauty Blender. I use this sponge to apply the foundation rather than use my fingers. With my dry skin, pressing the product on rather than blending with fingers is the best way to disguise any dry texture or flakiness.
- NARS Blush in Gaiety. The most cheerful pink blush that makes all skin tones look instantly perked up.
- Stila All Over Shimmer in Rose Gold. Sadly this has recently been discontinued. I would recommend NARS Illuminator or Fenty Beauty Matchsticks Shimmer Skinsticks as an alternative. Applied to the cheekbones, it gives a lovely luminosity that just isn't there when you're feeling exhausted.
- Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade in Taupe. It's really hard to find a cool/ashy brow shade that doesn't warm up in tone as the day goes on, but this one nails it. It's waterproof and stays on like a dream.
- Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler. I never skip the step of curling my lashes anymore, as giving them a quick crimp helps me feel that much more awake.
- Amaterasu Ultra Volume Mascara in Black. I discovered Amaterasu via LUX Beauty Boutique and instantly understood why this is one of their bestselling products. This tubing style mascara coats the lashes, adding tonnes of volume. It is waterproof and doesn't come off with oil or sweat, yet is removed easily with warm water. I would recommend it to any new mama as it lasts through the sweat and tears of postpartum life, and also to brides or anyone out dancing all night!
- Amaterasu Liquid Eyeliner in Black. This eyeliner doesn't budge! It's the only liquid eyeliner that I can wear without a primer and it will stay on all day. It even unseated my former favourite (Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner) from its throne. The applicator is also perfect and allows you to do a super thin or quite thick line. Also, if you have to layer it to fix mistakes, it doesn't gum up. It is perfection.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Color Paint in I-80. This iridescent pink-beige cream color is the perfect daytime eyeshadow. It goes on super smooth, blends beautifully and creates a fully waterproof base for anything I'd want to put over top of it.
- Skyn Iceland Berry Lip Fix. This is the most velvety and lovely lip treatment. I apply a thick layer after brushing my teeth in the morning and let it soak in while I go about my day.
- Bridlewood Soaps Winter Rescue Lip Balm. This medicated lip balm is lovingly made by my friend Jen in Orangeville, Ontario. It is incredibly soothing and moisturizing and I keep one in my makeup bag, and one beside the bed to apply at night.
- Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Fiore. I packed this in my hospital bag, and it's still a mainstay in my new mama kit because it instantly makes me happy when I wear it. Nothing zhushes up the face like a bright lipstick. My signature shade is actually "La Malicieuse" by Chanel, but that one is not nearly as long-lasting for mama life (ain't nobody got time to reapply constantly), which is why I choose the Stila one for this season of life.
Hope you found this useful!